Sunday, December 31, 2006

Home Sweet Home...

Finally, after 260 days of backpacking across the globe, I'm home again. My final flight arrived in Sydney at 10:45am, 22nd of December, 2006.

My initial feeling of boredom at arriving back in my family home of Asquith (woop woop) was eased when I met up with some old friends for a christmas picnic by the Sydney Harbour, at Balls Head. The glaring sunlight reflecting off the old harbour brought a sense of familiarity as well as some lazy contentment at the thought of being back in my comfy homeland.

Everything is just as I remembered, except for my cat Sunday, who passed away just as I was one month into the trip. His presence is sorely missed in my parent's house, which seems so quiet without his constant purring and affection.

Slowly I'm getting reacquainted with Australia in the festivity of Christmas and New Years. Taking a ferry from North Sydney to Circular Quay was a spectacular reminder of the why this harbour is amongst the most beautiful in the world. I also enjoyed a bit of post christmas sales, though spending more money is probably the last thing I should do. Spent the last few days up at Newcastle, an industrial city a little North of Sydney, in my sister's rented flat. The sun seems to shine even brighter there, and the pace even slower.

Today we went back to Balls Head and sat upon a huge rock that slants steeply towards the ocean, to watch the famous Sydney NYE Fireworks. This is the 75th Anniversary of the Harbour Bridge, so the fireworks are bigger than ever. We were there for both the 9 o'clock family fireworks and the 12 o'clock midnight countdown, where the Harbour Bridge was the centre piece as it spits out colourful fireworks and adorn the symbol of a coathanger on its face, to acknowledge its affectionate nick name by locals - "The Coathanger". As in every year, the entire harbour was beautifully lit up by the awe inspiring fireworks, and when it was over we knew another year has just arrived.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home