Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Hello London!


.
So I finally arrived in London this afternoon. It took nearly 3 hours for me to clear custom and get to my hotel at the other side of London and by then it was dark.
I had been looking forward to meeting up with two friends, but one is too tired from his long flight from Bangkok and went to sleep not long after I arrived, and I didn't even get to see the other friend who ran off to catch up with his other friends outside London. As I have already bought an expensive travelcard for the day, I decided to go into the city anyway..

I ended up in Leicester Square. It was a favourite meeting spot amongst my London gang... we loved the cheap Prince Charles theatre which used to show movies for less than 3 pounds, and the proximity to the cheap food in Chinatown. Most of my friends have returned to Australia or moved elsewhere abroad, but going to Leicester Square is almost like coming home. Everything is exactly as I remembered.

Firstly I went to one of the second hand bookshops near the station. There were several on the street, all selling a diverse range of books, like a book lovers heaven.. unfortunately the books aren't cheap once you convert them back to Australian dollars. After much hesitation between "a history of the kelly gang", a travelling novel set in China and a travelling book on the Spainish food, I finally decided on the latter, as my physical hunger and desire to relive my Spanish memories won over my curiousity about China and my desire to feel more Australian..

Second stop was for food... I searched the surrounding restuants for my friend's favourite low cost meal - "salty fish and chicken fried rice". It used to cost £3.50 in some places, and now it's at least £5. Talk about inflation! I ate it for old time sake, but it tasted better in my memory..

After dinner I wandered into Leicester Square itself. The square is dominated by the bright neon signs of the Odeon cinemas, where one is displaying a poster for the up coming 007 movie with that new James Bond guy. It's a popular place for big premieres with hollywood actors... I remember being squashed in the crowd and getting a glimpse of J-Lo in her figure hugging dress for "Maid in Manhattan". Many other times I walked past on a wednesday night unknowingly and saw other big premieres taking place. Along with all the other theatres and playhouses, it does make you feel like you are in the middle of the world, in somewhere important.. quite a difference to the laid back feel of Australia..

So here I am and I have another couple of days to absorb this city and continue our love/hate relationship..

Day 2..

Meet up with friends and went exploring around London. The sky was remarkably blue and memories started flooding back as we walked around central London, in search of a luggage shop that sells Lonely Planet half price. We found it, but now they no longer sell Lonely Planet, but the Eyewitness Guide...

Wanted to go shopping but as I was surrounded by guys it was not an option. Spent the next few days deciding where to go after London.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home