Thursday, October 19, 2006

A Moroccan Escape...



Spent the last week in Spain soaking up on the impressive Spainish culture, arts and tapas, and got a bit monument out.. (too many beautiful buildings, and too much history to absorb) So I decided to head off to Morocco for something a bit different.

Morocco is only 35 minutes by ferry from the southern most point in Spain (ie. Tarifa). Tarifa itself is an idyllic location especially popular with the windsurfers, boasting strong wind and endlessly long white sand beaches. But I didn't see much of it, as on the morning I decided to walk the beach it started to rain really hard, and I had to turn back after 20 minutes or so.

The ferry ride to Tarifa was ROUGH! The huge waves rocked the big boat up and down and it was like a never ending rollercoasting ride. When we eventually arrived at the Tangier port in Morocco I couldn't wait to get out. Except no one told us we needed to get our passport stamp onboard, so when I tried to get off the boat I was turned back, and the police that did the stamp disappeared for 50 minutes or so, leaving a bunch of anxious backpackers onboard waiting for him. After a while they started loading passengers for the return trip and we were worried that we might get carried back to Spain before ever setting foot on the Moroccan soil! Two of the backpackers were Japanese who were only going to Morocco for a day trip (in fact, a two hour trip!), so their time loss was even more frustrating...

Finally we were let off the boat, and I stepped onto Africa for the first time! Morocco is indeed something different. Its Arabic culture pervades through every corner and every moment of its people's lives. From the clothing that women wear to the constant playing of the prayer music on radio, to the prominant mosques and distinctive architecture, everywhere you turn you are reminded that you are in an deeply religious country. During the prayer hours, everyone goes home to pray and the whole town is deserted, the streets empty and shops closed. Right now it's the month of Ramadan, where all the muslims will fast during the day and only eat when the sun go down.

Today is my first day in Morocco, in the town of Marrakech, so these are only my first impressions. At times I felt like I was walking on a movie set, as the narrow winding streets were so distinct and so much like what we see in those hollywood movies or the Tin Tin comics. I joined a friendly American couple on their shopping trip around the colourful markets around the city, and it was an eye opening experience to see the beautiful things they have on sale, as well as the amount of bargaining required for every single item. I'm glad I'm not buying anything, yet.. :)

I am staying in a dingy hotel right in front of the main square. The location is perfect but the cold shower was a shock to my system, despite the warm weather. The square really comes alive at night with hundreds of stores selling food, juices, spices and souvenirs. I was quick to hide my hands from girls selling painted tattos, as I have been warned by a friend who has her hand grabbed and quickly painted by a girl and being forced to pay! Apart from that, everywhere I walk I hear "konichiwa!!" or other Japanese sayings directed to me. Ah, I wonder how the real Japanese deal with it.

Tomorrow I'll go on a 3 day trip to the Sahara desert!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home